RE: Question about a loose thread from setup

Eliot Moss wrote on 2010-01-25:
> For some time now setup has been offering to
> install tetex and glib, but apparently these
> are obsolete -- the .tar.bz2 files are 46
> bytes long. I have tried deleting things out
> of my setup file hierarchy, but I don't want
> to "erase" its memory of everything else I
> have installed. (And I do have tex/latex
> installed, and their fonts, so this little
> bz2 file is an odd loose end of some kind.)
>
> Can someone instruct me, or point me to the
> right corner of the documentation, to fix
> up my installation? Everything *works* fine;
> setup just keep offering these and somehow
> never really installing / clearing them out.

These packages are not obsolete (otherwise they would be in the _obsolete category); they are empty packages that are used to pull in the actual packages that you want. For example, tetex pulls in tetex-bin and tetex-tiny.

It is kind of annoying that setup doesn't remember that it has installed empty packages (and therefore keeps indicating that they are not installed), though.

> On another note, setup seems generally to
> remember how I check the checkboxes and
> radio buttons, but seems always to offer
> to put an icon on my desktop, which I
> never want to do. Is there a way I can stop
> it from offering to do that? If it matters,
> I tend to do downloading in one invocation
> of setup and installing as a separate step.

See the output of 'setup -h' for a workaround for this:

<snip>
-n --no-shortcuts                      Disable creation of desktop and start
                                        menu shortcuts
 -N --no-startmenu                      Disable creation of start menu shortcut
 -d --no-desktop                        Disable creation of desktop shortcut
</snip>

HTH,
--
Bryan Thrall