Re: what's the problem of my cygwin installation?

On 02/05/2010 11:03 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 10:53:00AM -0500, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
Christopher Faylor sent the following at Friday, February 05, 2010 9:59 AM
On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 03:08:59PM +0000, Dave Korn wrote:
On 05/02/2010 11:58, G.W. Haywood wrote:
It's long seemed to me that there's a case for changing the name of
this file.  On the average Windows box it is not unusual to see several
files called 'setup.exe' descended from entirely unrelated products.

The Cygwin icon is a bit of a dead giveaway.

And, how, exactly, would changing the name of setup.exe to something else cause a DECREASE in traffic? It seems like the opposite would be true. We'd have to set up a new "cygwin-what-happened-to-setup.exe@cygwin.com" list.

Actually, for a while I've thought that a name change might be useful.

The icon identifies it in the GUI, but not on the command line.

I seem to remember having sometimes being blocked from doing something
with a file named setup.exe.  I wasn't blocked after I changed the name
or find some other way to do whatever I was trying to do with it.

(Though maybe it was with a different "setup.exe".)

Your experiences notwithstanding, obviously thousands of people are running setup.exe without problem. Changing the name would throw a large group of people into confusion.

We're not going to change the name.  I think the cost outweighs any
benefit (and I actually don't see any benefit).

I have this strange feeling that I've seen this exact conversation somewhere before. Must have been from one of my trips to an alternate reality where this is discussed regularly...

Holliston, MA 01746