Re: 1.7.1 ssh on win7 Non-recoverable failure in name resolution ?

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin)
<reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On 02/10/2010 12:17 AM, William Deegan wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I've just setup a win7 ultimate vm under vmware fusion.
>>
>> And of course, installed cygwin.
>>
>> When I try to ssh to my favorite host using my favorite username I get
>> the following error:
>> ssh: Could not resolve hostname myhost.xyz.com: Non-recoverable
>> failure in name resolution
>>
>> Any suggestions how to resolve this?
>> I saw another email where there was a similar issue with nslookup
>> which suggested adding a resolv.conf (which I did and that resolve
>> nslookup for the same host).
>
> So you can now ping this machine from your Win 7 VM by name and
> IP?

xyz host doesn't respond to pings from any host.
Interesting.
My xp box with cygwin 1.7.1 can ssh to the host xyz.
I can ssh from my win7 and xp box with cygwin ssh to another box
(which is pingable)

Both of which have just been updated to the latest packages, so should
have the same versions of everything.

Thanks,
Bill