Problems with mutt & charset

For some reason although when I send emails containing certain umlauted
characters everything looks fine, the recipient sometimes (or possibly
always, I only know because one person mentioned it) doesn't see the
characters correctly.

I have the following environment variables set
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE = "de_CH.UTF-8"

(LANG is en because I want to have my messages in English. Must LC_CTYPE
match?)

and within mutt I can see that Mutt has the charset variable set to
UTF-8 - ':set &charset ?charset' displays 'charset="utf-8"'.

However if I send *myself* an email containing upper case an umlauted A,
O, or U I see garbage in mutt where the character should be, however if
I look at the email via webmail it looks fine. Similary if I send a
friend an email continaing (apparently) any type of umlauted character
(upper or lower case) they appear to be replaced by spaces. I notice
that the Content-Type header contains text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1. Is
that correct? In .muttrc send_charset is unset, so allegedly defaults to
charset, but that doesn't seem to be the case here for some reason.