Re: Fetchmail call to procmail no longer works under Cygwin 1.7.1-1

Tom,

Please note the following:

    http://cygwin.com/acronyms#PPIOSPE

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 05:52:34PM -0500, Thomas Baker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 09:12:00AM -0500, Thomas Baker wrote:
> >> The problem is that since the upgrade to Cygwin 1.7, the fetchmail
> >> on my _desktop_ computer no longer passes the incoming messages to
> >> the MDA procmail. ??Each incoming message, retrieved with POP3, is
> >> saved undelivered as an individual file in /var/spool/mail/tbaker,
> >> e.g.:
> >>
> >> ?? ?? ?? /var/spool/mail/tbaker/msg.AdZ
> >> ?? ?? ?? /var/spool/mail/tbaker/msg.IdE ...
> >
> > Is /var/spool/mail/tbaker a directory on your desktop? ??I expected it to
> > be a (mbox formatted) file.
>
> Ah, how interesting!  It is indeed a directory.  I deleted the
> directory, sent some test messages to myself, and now at least they
> are indeed accumulating in one single mbox file called TBaker.  That
> is certainly progress!

Hmm...  Who or what created that directory?

> > Does running fetchmail with multiple -v options and/or procmail in
> > VERBOSE=yes mode help located the problem?
>
> I ran the fetchmail diagnostic:
>
> 	env LC_ALL=C fetchmail -V
>
> and got some relevant bits of information:
>
> 	Fallback MDA: /usr/bin/procmail -d %T
> 	Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to TBaker.
>   	Messages will be delivered with "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T".
>
> and from
>
> 	env LC_ALL=C fetchmail --nodetach -vvv --nosyslog
>
> I get
>
>  fetchmail: about to deliver with: /usr/bin/procmail -d'TBaker'
>  flushed
>  fetchmail: POP3> DELE 1
>
> Procmail, on the other hand, is already set to VERBOSE and writes to a
> logfile procmail.log.  On the netbook, where procmail works, it does
> write to the logfile.  On the desktop, where procmail does not work,
> it does not write to the logfile, making me think it is somehow not
> even being called.

What happens if you call procmail from the command line directly?  Does
it find your ~/.procmailrc file on the desktop machine?

> When I compare the output of these commands between the netbook (where
> it works) and the desktop (where it does not), the only difference I
> see is that on the netbook, the log says
>
>         fetchmail: about to deliver with: /usr/bin/procmail -d 'tbaker'

Does this imply that you don't see the above line in the desktop's
fetchmail log?

> (i.e., "tbaker" all in lower case).  I have tested several variants in
> .fetchmailrc, e.g.:
>
> 	mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
> 	mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d tbaker"
> 	mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d 'tbaker'"
>
> and export USERNAME=tbaker, etc, but none of these has worked yet.

Could case sensitivity be causing your problem (i.e., tbaker vs.
TBaker)?  What does the "logname" command and "$HOME" variable indicate
on each machine?

> If my mail is now accumulating at least in one mbox file, is there
> perhaps a way I could try running procmail on that file manually?

You would have to split the file apart into separate messages.  See
the formail man page (i.e., the -s option) for more details.

Jason