1.7.1 Runtime Error in setup.exe subsequent to successful install

Hello,

I am a new Cygwin user, and about two weeks ago, I downloaded the
latest Cywin into a newly installed Windows XP VirtualBox vm.
Presumably this would be the 1.7.1 version advertised on the main
Cygwin website, though the initial setup.exe screen showed me a
version 2.686.

Everything went very nicely and I was able to install a number of
applications during the setup process.

After having happily used Cygwin for a few days, I wanted to install
some additional applications (such as ssh), and attempted to do this
via the setup.exe program.

Unfortunately, I have not been successful due to a RunTime Error,
stating that "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate
it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team
for more information."

During my initial attempt, I had failed to properly select my
employer's proxy server settings, and had to cancel.

Here are the choices I make when I run the setup.exe:

For "Download Source", I chose: Install from Internet.
For "Select Root Install Directory", I leave it as default and select
"Install for All Users".
For "Select Local Package Directory", I leave the default path (my
Downloads directory).
For "Setup Your Internet Connection", I chose Use Http Proxy. After
authenticating with the correct username and password, the Runtime
Error appears.

Any help on this would be appreciated.