Re: gettext/libiconv and libtool problem

On 3/11/2010 12:29 PM, Roger While wrote:

gettext has a requirement on libiconv2. libiconv2 contains only the cygiconv dll and nothing else.

OK. So we have a typical (libtooled) autoconf/automake configure which has
a AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external]).

Fine, the configure proceeds and produces something like -

checking for GNU gettext in libc... no
checking for iconv... no, consider installing GNU libiconv
checking for GNU gettext in libintl... yes
checking whether to use NLS... yes
checking where the gettext function comes from... external libintl
checking how to link with libintl... -lintl

etc.
Also fine.

We then do the make which blows up with -

libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libiconv.la' or
unhandled argument
`/usr/lib/libiconv.la'

It looks to me as though libiconv2 should be supplying libiconv.la
as the gettext libintl.la has these lines -

# Libraries that this one depends upon.
dependency_libs=' -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libiconv.la'

In fact I wonder whether or not gettext should require libiconv
instead of/as well as libiconv2.

You must be missing 'libiconv' then:

<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=libiconv.la>

Holliston, MA 01746