Cygwin Terminal Type

Hi all,

This is a border line flame worthy question as I’m acting as a proxy
for a developer. Please go easy...

I have an elaborate, slightly dirty but fully functional system in
place whereby Windows machines are automated via a Linux Ruby
application over SSH. Historically we haven’t used the cygwin ssh
server on Windows clients as we had some issues with output when
running anything Powershell. We have now managed to fix this by
issuing commands from a Cygwin bash prompt like:

echo . | powershell function-name

All good. The problem we now face is that the ‘raw’ terminal output
the Ruby ssh library sees is full of control character, this can make
it difficult to read the output of any commands we run.
I was thinking that perhaps specifying a terminal type that doesn’t
support colours (or even just ‘dumb’) would lessen the control
characters but I can’t get this to work. No matter what terminal type
we specific in the Ruby SSH library the same control characters
present themselves, if I run a test from PuTTY, ssh’ing to Cygwin sshd
and specifying vt100 or dumb as a terminal type, I still see a
coloured prompt which would seem to suggest I haven’t changed the
terminal type at all?
Could someone kindly point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Nick