Re: Cygwin doesn't install gcc even though I select it

On 3/25/2010 4:50 PM, steenreem wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

On 3/25/2010 3:59 PM, steenreem wrote:
Sorry I was unclear. "gcc4.exe" is also in /bin, together with
"gcc3.exe".
However there is no "gcc" symbolic link. I have tried copy and renaming
"gcc4.exe" to "gcc.exe" but that leads to the error "C compiler cannot
create executables"

Reinstall gcc4 then. You're missing stuff for some reason.

Ok I did that. There was still no "gcc" in /bin. However I did find the files "set-gcc-default-3.sh" and "set-gcc-default-4.sh" there. I invoked "./sh set-gcc-default-3.sh" from the bin directory inside cygwin. The command ran but there is still no gcc file in /bin and I cannot run gcc from cygwin.

I just reinstalled cygwin today. I deleted the old folder and ran the
setup.exe from scratch. The previous cygwin installation did not always
have the missing gcc problem. Maybe something remaining from my old
installation has caused the current cygwin to not install correctly?

Maybe. We'd need more information about your installation at least. See <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.

Holliston, MA 01746