Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] mintty-0.6.1-1

On Mar 27 06:06, Andy Koppe wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen:
> >> - Fall back to /bin/bash rather than /bin/sh if no shell is specified
> >> otherwise. This is for the benefit of Windows domain account users,
> >> for whom Cygwin setup does not create /etc/passwd entries by default.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be more helpful to open a MessageBox like this:
> >
> > "Your user account has no /etc/passwd entry. ?Ask your lazy administrator
> > ?to add it. ?And tell her not to forget to add the domain groups to
> > ?/etc/group while being at it."
>
> :)
>
> I was just trying to dodge complaints about not getting the full
> prompt and .bashrc or .bash_profile not being sourced. Didn't mean to
> imply that setup should query the domain user database.

I didn't imply this either.  The fact that the current user has an
invalid uid ((uid_t) -1) should be enough to allow to create that
MessageBox.  I was just wondering if that wouldn't help to point more
people to problems in their /etc/passwd, /etc/group setup.  Well, it's
just a suggestion.

>  And /etc/profile warns
> about the missing /etc/passwd entry anyway.

Nevertheless, I'm always puzzled how many people still have broken
/etc/passwd and /etc/group files.  Apparently the /etc/profile message
as well as the pseudo groups "mkpasswd" and "mkgroup" used in `ls' or
`id' output are unscrupulously ignored.

Corinna

Red Hat