Re: slow file open

On 3/29/2010 11:51 AM, Erdem Guven wrote:
Hello,

My application uses fopen to open a lot of files. While in linux
opening and reading thousand of files doesn't even take a second; in
cygwin it takes more than 5 seconds.

I think it is because path conversion functions in cygwin dlls. 'open'
function is a bit faster. If I use -mno-cygwin it becomes very fast
but I can't use it.

Is there an easy way to make cygwin dlls just open files; without any
linux-windows conversion?

Unfortunately, Cygwin 1.7 removed the "run really fast" switch. Stupid Cygwin! ;-)

But seriously, the best way to avoid the path conversions is to not use
Cygwin.  Cygwin provides the POSIX paths for compatibility.  If you need
that compatibility, then Cygwin is for you.  If you don't, then maybe it
isn't.  Since you mention above that you cannot use the -mno-cygwin flag
that comes with the (old) compiler, I'm assuming that you have a need for
the POSIX stuff that Cygwin provides.

One possibility of bypassing the path handling in your programis to use
'\' as your path separator in all the file paths.  This won't work in all
cases but it's possible it could help in yours.

Holliston, MA 01746