Re: How to uninstall Cygwin/X (only)

"Steven E. Harris" <seh@panix.com> writes:

> "Larry Hall (Cygwin)" <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> writes:
>
>> Choose the "Category" view and select the cycling arrow widget by "X11"
>> until it shows "Uninstall".
>
> When I try that, I then see the following warning:

I think the problem here is that the cycle goes from

  Default -> Install -> Reinstall -> Uninstall

Upon that first transition to Install, all the packages in that category
are requested for installation, along with all their
dependencies. Continuing through the cycle to finally reach Uninstall
does not undo the earlier damage from the transition to Install; many of
the packages added by Install are not removed by Uninstall. Try it and
see. It's a trap.

Trying to coordinate this process among the X11, Gnome, KDE, and any
other X-related categories isn't possible. There's no way to jump
straight from "current installed state" to Uninstall without first
accidentally requesting that the installed set of packages expand rather
than contract.

--
Steven E. Harris