This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: nl_langinfo returning null?
- From: Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 23:16:34 +0200
- Subject: Re: nl_langinfo returning null?
- References: <4BBF8D1B.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
On Apr 9 16:24, Charles Wilson wrote:
> I've noticed that bsdtar.exe has been coredumping occasionally. I've
> tracked it down to a behavioral change in recent cygwin DLLs. This line
> in bsdtar.c:
> bsdtar->day_first = (*nl_langinfo(D_MD_ORDER) == 'd');
> causes a segfault, because nl_langinfo returns null. However, according
> to POSIX:
> "In a locale where langinfo data is not defined, nl_langinfo() shall
> return a pointer to the corresponding string in the POSIX locale. In all
> locales, nl_langinfo() shall return a pointer to an empty string if item
> contains an invalid setting."
> Now, this doesn't always happen; I only see it when I run bsdtar.exe in
> mintty, but not if I run it in rxvt-unicode, rxvt, cmd/bash, ...
> So, it seems to be a weird interaction with something mintty is doing,
> and the i18n stuff, but...regardless, cygwin's nl_langinfo() should
> never return null.
I just had a look into the __set_lc_time_from_win function which fills
in the time-related data returned by nl_langinfo. For some reason I
missed to fill in the md_order data entirely *blush*.
> FWIW, I've put a workaround in bsdtar.c, and will be uploading a new
> version shortly.
Please, don't. I'll try to come up with a fix over the weekend and we
release Cygwin 1.7.5 soon, especially given the memory leak fix cgf
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple