This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: grub-1.98-1
- From: Christian Franke <Christian dot Franke at t-online dot de>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:20:43 +0200
- Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: grub-1.98-1
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Version 1.98-1 of grub has been uploaded.
Description from README:
This is GRUB 2, the second version of the GRand Unified Bootloader.
GRUB 2 is rewritten from scratch to make GNU GRUB cleaner, safer, more
robust, more powerful, and more portable.
The following packages are available:
grub: GRUB binaries build for PC/BIOS architecture.
grub-fonts: optional fonts.
grub-emu: emulated version of GRUB for debugging purposes.
* GRUB now builds OOTB on Cygwin.
New in 1.98:
* Graphical menu support.
* Saved default menu entry support, with new utilities `grub-reboot' and
* Unit testing framework.
* Support for multiple terminals.
* Encrypted password support, with a new utility `grub-mkpasswd-pbkdf2'.
* `grub-mkfloppy' removed; use `grub-mkrescue' to create floppy images.
* Add support for gettext.
New in 1.97:
* Add support for loading XNU (MacOS X kernel).
* ACPI override support.
* Integrated gptsync.
* Password protection support.
* Partition manipulation tool.
* Add `keystatus' command.
* Unicode fonts are now used by default.
* Add `hdparm' command.
* Add support for getting the current date and time from CMOS as variables.
* Add `drivemap' command.
* Add support for RAID levels 4,6 and 10.
* update-grub is replaced by grub-mkconfig.
* When booting from PXE, PXE can be used to load files.
* High resolution timer support.
* Image loaders now support IO buffering.
* Add `crc' command.
* Add Cygwin support.
* Add x86_64 EFI support.
* Use LZMA compression instead of LZO.
* Support for saving the environment from and loading the environment
from a file.
* Allow the UUID to be used as device name.
* The `search' command can use UUIDs now.
* Add support for IEEE 1275 on i386.
* Create partmap.lst and use it to automatically load partition map
* grub-mkconfig supports os-prober to add operating systems to the
* The ATA driver supports devices bigger than 2 TiB.
* Add support for the UDF, AFS and EXT4 filesystems.
* The ISO9660 filesystem supports the Joliet extension
* Add support for loading kernels of FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD.
* Add new command `sleep'.
* Support for direct access to AT keyboards.
* New utility `grub-fstest'.
Due to a regression in the Cygwin specific path conversion,
grub-mkconfig does not enable terminal gfxterm automatically.
To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page. This downloads setup.exe to your
system. Then, run setup and keep clicking "Next".
If you have questions or comments, please send them to the Cygwin
*** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***
If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, please
use the automated form at:
If this does not work, then look at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the
email header of this message. Send email to the address specified
there. It will be in the format:
If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:
Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple