This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Installation problems - post install scripts all give "abnormal exit: exit code=128"
- From: "Crow, Frank" <frank dot crow at progeny dot net>
- To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:22:58 -0400
- Subject: Installation problems - post install scripts all give "abnormal exit: exit code=128"
I recently installed the latest version of the full Cygwin. I noticed that many things were not working, so I looked at the /var/log/setup.log file. In that log file, I discovered that all of the package post install scripts failed during installation. All, except two, give the "abnormal exit: exit code=128" error, such as:
2010/04/25 22:58:53 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/000-cygwin-post-install.sh
2010/04/25 22:59:26 abnormal exit: exit code=128
2010/04/25 22:59:26 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh
2010/04/25 22:59:53 abnormal exit: exit code=128
2010/04/25 22:59:53 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/coreutils.sh
2010/04/25 23:00:19 abnormal exit: exit code=128
2010/04/25 23:00:19 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/terminfo.sh
2010/04/25 23:00:47 abnormal exit: exit code=128
2010/04/25 23:00:47 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile /etc/postinstall/bash.sh
2010/04/25 23:01:14 abnormal exit: exit code=128
I did some internet searches and have found a couple other people reporting this problem. Unfortunately, in every case, there has never been a resolution or fix posted in reply.
I tried a bit of hacking: I went into the /etc/postinstall directory and ran all of the post install scripts manually. While this did have some amount of success, it still did not result in a fully functional Cygwin installation. As the scripts ran, many errors were reported. Too many to list here. But at least now I have the Cygwin and Cygwin-X start menus, which I did not have before.
So my questions are:
1. Does anyone know what "exit code=128" or "exit code=129" mean? Or where to find out what those errors mean?
2. Does anyone know why all of the post install scripts fail in this manner for some installations such as mine? Or how to better troubleshoot or fix the problem(s)?
Any information is highly appreciated.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple