Re: Cygwin visual brand

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Alex Leigh <leigh@hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Why not just use the "cyg-" prefix, like the cygstart and cygpath
> tools already do? Something like "cygsetup", "cygpackage",
> "cygpackman", etc. I think these both communicate clearly the purpose
> of the program and are short to type.

I'd vote for cygsetup.exe.  I agree that setup.exe is too generic.  I
always wind up renaming it to something like cygsetup.exe.

By the way, I'm not sure if this is an issue, but something with
"setup" in it might be desirable as this string will be detected by
Vista's installer detection heuristic (scroll down to "Installer
Detection Technology" in [1]).  I believe Windows 7 does this, too,
but I'm not sure. If the requested execution level is specified in a
application manifest, though, this isn't necessary.

-David

[1] http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709628(WS.10).aspx