Re: libtool and shared libraries

I to have run into the same problem.

Interesting fact: I was able to successfully build and install Gnu Mailutils last year,
July 2009.  It contained then most of the example <source>.cc files that will now, (sometime in 2010) compile, but it did then.

This indicates that it just be a libtool or other make chain related tools that doesn't quite cut the mustard, with regards to C++ progamming language source code.

Has anyone else had trouble with makeing C++ programs with cygwin's program building chain of tools?

Regards
  D. Henman

Refr Bruhl <refr_bruhl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Team
>
> I've three different issues that I think are related to the same base problem. It appears the libtool complains of unresolved symbols. Instead of a warning it looks like this is a fatal error which prevents compiling
>
> So far I have gotten this error in compiling subversion, apache, and mailutils (2.0 and 2.1).
>

> Error in make log
> libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-pc-cygwin shared libraries
>

> *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive ../mailbox/libmailutils.la.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
> libtool: link: warning: undefined symbols not allowed in i686-pc-cygwin shared libraries
... snipped rest