endless problems with SSHD - bug ??

running cygwin 1.7.6; trying to copy files from a win2k wkstn to a win2k
server.
running within a windows domain; but not using domain for authentication;
using public keys.

I have read every bit of content I can find, and can't find any answers to
my problems. I:
1) HAVE installed sshd with the host-config script
2) rebaseall & peflagsall after last install/update
3) have checked EVERY entry in any conf file I can think of/locate

Maybe I should start with what I want, and where I'm at. It's the pursuit of
what I want that has led me down DOZENS of tangential problematic paths.

I simply want to copy files from 1 pc to another using a script initiated by
either a user or cron entry. Ideally this would happen using scp into a
chroot'ed environment.

I currently have sshd working perfectly - IF I ONLY ssh to a shell. pub
key's work great, no need to type a password - lovely!!  Things start
falling apart as soon as I try to do anything moving toward my goal.

first off, I have not been able to get the chroot env to work, and I can
find no doc's or examples on EXACTLY what should be the entry for that line
in the conf file (or what permissions should be).

failing that - I decided to get scp or sftp going. if I try $ sftp
user@host, I am simply presented with "connection closed". Here's the log
from that attempt:
>> BEGIN LOG excerpt
debug2: userauth_pubkey: authenticated 1 pkalg ssh-rsa
Accepted publickey for als from 192.168.1.156 port 4898 ssh2
debug1: monitor_child_preauth: als has been authenticated by privileged
process
debug1: Entering interactive session for SSH2.
debug1: server_init_dispatch_20
debug1: server_input_channel_open: ctype session rchan 0 win 2097152 max
32768
debug1: input_session_request
debug1: channel 0: new [server-session]
debug1: session_new: session 0
debug1: session_open: channel 0
debug1: session_open: session 0: link with channel 0
debug1: server_input_channel_open: confirm session
debug1: server_input_global_request: rtype no-more-sessions@openssh.com
want_rep
ly 0
debug1: server_input_channel_req: channel 0 request subsystem reply 1
debug1: session_by_channel: session 0 channel 0
debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req subsystem
subsystem request for sftp
debug1: subsystem: exec() /usr/sbin/sftp-server -l DEBUG
debug2: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
debug2: fd 8 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug2: fd 7 setting O_NONBLOCK
debug1: Received SIGCHLD.
debug1: session_by_pid: pid 1540
debug1: session_exit_message: session 0 channel 0 pid 1540
debug2: channel 0: request exit-signal confirm 0
debug1: session_exit_message: release channel 0
debug2: channel 0: write failed
debug2: channel 0: close_write
debug2: channel 0: send eow
debug2: channel 0: output open -> closed
debug2: notify_done: reading
debug2: channel 0: read<=0 rfd 8 len 0
debug2: channel 0: read failed
debug2: channel 0: close_read
debug2: channel 0: input open -> drain
debug2: channel 0: ibuf empty
debug2: channel 0: send eof
debug2: channel 0: input drain -> closed
debug2: channel 0: send close
debug2: channel 0: rcvd close
Received disconnect from 192.168.1.156: 11: disconnected by user
debug1: do_cleanup
<< END log

I read an article saying maybe my motd is causing sftp to fail, so I removed
it to no avail. Next, I tried:
$ ssh user@host "/usr/bin/true"
bam - here's an excerpt from that log: (SAME err even if /bin/bash is shell)
>> BEGIN log
  SHELL=/bin/rbash
  SSH_CLIENT=192.168.1.156 4653 0
  SSH_CONNECTION=192.168.1.156 4653 UNKNOWN 0
   2179 [main] sshd 1532 E:\cygwin\usr\sbin\sshd.exe: *** fatal error -
could no
t load user32, Win32 error 1114
<< END log

I checked in "winerror.h" and find that err 1114 is a dll init error. so I'm
guessing this is some bug ?????

I'd appreciate any insite that could get me scp'g into a chroot!!

TIA - Bob