Re: Re: X-forwarding very very slow

On 8:59 PM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
On 8/18/2010 11:55 AM, Csaba Raduly wrote:
On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Alberto Canestrelli wrote:
Hi,
I have a problem with Cygwin. I am connecting from USA by ssh to the Hector
supermachine in Edinburgh ( I write "startx" in Cygwin and then I use  "ssh
-Y  v1acanes@login.hector.ac.uk" ). Everything works fine, the only problem
is that the forwarding of the windows is very very slow.
Hi Alberto,
It would be useful if you could try a non-Cygwin X server (e.g. a
Linux or Solaris workstation). If X from under Linux appears fast,
then the slowdown could be between your network card and display
(probably Cygwin's fault). If X from Linux is also slow, the problem
may be with the propagation of the X protocol between your network
card and Hector (probably not Cygwin's fault) .
You could also try enabling compression with -C.  I have found this to
be a necessity when connecting with X over ssh between work and home
even though the locations are quite near each other and plain text based
ssh access runs fine without the compression.
In my experience, any "off-campus" access to X is best done via VNC or rdesktop (both over a compressed ssh tunnel). Triply so if you're crossing an ocean. The protocol simply was not designed with slow or laggy networks in mind, from what I can tell.

There are faster X-servers for windows, but not free, and I haven't noticed that they reduce the amount of protocol chatter much, especially for the unbearably slow process of opening a new window.

Regards,
Ryan