Re: 1.5 symlinks not readable in 1.7

On Aug 26 10:22, Paul McFerrin wrote:
> Sorry for re-submission.  Forgot the attachment.
>
> I've been working for months on this problem since 1.7 went official..
>
> I'm runningWin XP Pro sp3 on an all NTFS filesystems.  I was a beta
> tester for several months before 1.7 went official.  In all of my
> testing as beta, my 1.5 symlinks worked in both 1.5 and 1.7.  After
> (or during) the 1.7 becoming official, my many 1.5 symlinks were no
> longer working.  I have spent considerable time attempting to find
> and fix these 1.5 created symlinks (300+ total) I was quite taken
> back that such a major change would be thrown in at the last minute.
> Mabe it was just an oversight.

And you actually waited 8 months before reporting it???

> I am quoting from web page titled:               What's new and what
> changed in Cygwin 1.7
>           Chapter 1. Cygwin Overview
>
> In one of the bullet items on the first page, it states :
>   Cygwin 1.7 can read all old style symlinks, but the new style is
> not compatible with older Cygwin releases.
>
> If this is true, then why am I having these problems now, a few
> months after 1.7 release?

I have not the faintest idea.  The old 1.5 symlinks still work for me,
independent of using .lnk-style symlinks (default in 1.5) or "plain
files with SYSTEM DOS attribute set"-style symlinks (CYGWIN=nowinsymlinks,
default in 1.7).

> or an I just a heavy user of symlinks?  Has anyone written a tool
> that will find and fix these 1.5 symlinks?

Are all symlinks not working?  What *exactly* is wrong or goes wrong?
Create an example so that we're on the same line as you are.  Problem
reports with testcases are infinitely more helpful than without them.

Corinna

Red Hat