Re: /dev/windows and select() [was Re: Slow response to keypresses in xorg-server-1.8.0-1]

On Aug 29 16:17, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 29 14:39, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> > >[...]
>
> Thanks for the testcase.  I examined this and I think I have a
> workaround.  MSDN states that there's a flag QS_ALLPOSTMESSAGE for
> MsgWaitForMultipleObjects, which is not cleared by PeekMessage, if the
> wMsgFilterMin and wMsgFilterMax arguments are not both 0.  So, what I
> did was to add the QS_ALLPOSTMESSAGE flag to the
> MsgWaitForMultipleObjects call in select.cc, and to change the
> PeekMessage call in select.cc:peek_windows() from
>
>   PeekMessage (&m, (HWND) h, 0, 0, PM_NOREMOVE)

>   PeekMessage (&m, (HWND) h, 1, UINT_MAX, PM_NOREMOVE)
>
> Same in your above test application.  This appears to do the trick.
> However, I'm not exactly sure if that's a valid fix.  Patch below.

Hmm, this ignores the potential WM_NULL message, afaics.  For some
reason, using

  PeekMessage (&m, (HWND) h, 0, UINT_MAX, PM_NOREMOVE)

results in MsgWaitForMultipleObjects hanging, too.  OTOH, using

  PeekMessage (&m, (HWND) h, 0, 16, PM_NOREMOVE)
  && PeekMessage (&m, (HWND) h, 17, UINT_MAX, PM_NOREMOVE)

does not.  Go figure.

Corinna

Red Hat