Re: libpq: problem with shared library

Tomáš Hajas wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to use PostgreSQL C API under Cygwin, but libpq attempts load a very
strange shared library. On run-time it states:
"error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory"
and yes, name of the missing shared library is literally a question mark.

To reproduce the problem, all it takes is just to use the library:

#include <libpq-fe.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
	PQconnectdb("dbname=test");
	return 0;
}

Compiled with:
gcc -o pqtest pqtest.c /usr/lib/libpq.a

What could possibly cause this? Thanks in advace.

Best regards,
Tomas Hajas

Hi,
for some reason when this error message appears it has some problems showing you which dll it isn't able to find. It happened to me with both this question mark and with available dll files (while another dll was the one really missing). What I did to see which dll was really missing was to execute "strace program". This should pop up a windows message with the real problem.

Hope this works for you.
Cheers,
Tomás.