Re: cygwin + xwin in win7 as unprivileged user?

On 06/10/2010 16:10, davidstvz wrote:
I have done additional testing on this problem and it seems that the first
user to login and run 'startxwin' owns all of the log and lock files and
this is what is causing the problem.  The first user can continue using xwin
without issues, but no other users can do it after that.

If someone would upgrade xwin to to make these file names unique for each
user it should solve the problem.  Meanwhile, I'm envisioning several
workarounds.

The log file issue is discussed and a workaround given at [1]

The lock file should be removed on xwin exit, so should not be a problem
unless xwin is crashing for you, in which case report that problem.

Making the lock file name unique per user is a non-solution, as it prevents it from locking against multiple simultaneous uses of the same display number.

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2010-08/msg00090.html

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer