Re: Permissions on Windows 2008

On 12/06/2010 11:09 PM, Bryan Slatner wrote:
> I've just installed Cygwin on a Windows 2008 Standard server with SP2.
>
> I'm noticing two strange behaviors with files that I upload via SFTP (or
> SCP, I'm not actually sure which protocol WinSCP uses by default).
>
> First, the ACL list on the uploaded files contains an entry for
> "ServerName\None", which is a non-existent account as best I can tell.
>
> Second, it "shares" the files and directories using the Windows 2008
> file sharing feature that allows you to share files with other users
> on the same machine. It shares the file with "Everyone" and
> "ServerName\None".
>
> Both of these are undesirable behaviors. Ideally, I would like files
> uploaded with SFTP to have the same permissions they'd have as if I
> had just created them in place. The sharing thing is particularly
> annoying because if I start moving files around, Windows frequently
> pops up a warning like "Warning: These files are shared. If you move
> them, they will no longer be accessible."
>
> Any tips on how to prevent these behaviors would be welcome.

By default Cygwin tries to emulate POSIX file permissions:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

You can disable this by modifying your /etc/fstab file and adding the
appropriate options to cause the target locations for your files to have
the necessary options:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

Specifically, you may need to modify the settings for the cygdrive
mountpoint:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#cygdrive

-Jeremy