How to specify full path in Makefile?

hello, I downloaded a c++ library. The binary needs to take several files as
input and they are specified in the Makefile like this:
[Code]
DATA_DIR     = data
LEXI      = ${DATA_DIR}/input/LEXE
BIGR      = ${DATA_DIR}/input/BIGR
[/code]
The Make will create a binary file in the same directory as the DATA_DIR
directory. Then the user has to always execute this binary in this same
directory; if you execute it another directory, it will complain it can't
find the data input file. Can I replace the relative path "data" with a full
path like

DATA_DIR ="C:\GeneTagger\data" // or DATA_DIR ="C:/GeneTagger/data"

So that I can execute it anywhere? I tried, but I got the following message:
[code]
c:\tagger>make
Makefile:67: *** target pattern contains no `%'.  Stop.
[/code]

Can anyone help with this? Thanks.