This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Owner/Group showing up as "??????????" on some Windows files despite mkpasswd/mkgroup
- From: Csaba Raduly <rcsaba at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 13:40:53 +0200
- Subject: Re: Owner/Group showing up as "??????????" on some Windows files despite mkpasswd/mkgroup
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4D1CA7C9.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 7:59 AM, aputerguy wrote:
> If trustedinstaller is a valid file owner then I would like it to show up as
> the file owner in cygwin so that rsync transfers it over properly.
> Presumably this would mean adding it to my /etc/passwd file though I'm not
> sure what would be the best entry to use.
> On the other hand if trustedinstaller SHOULD NOT be owning any files and its
> just an error on my windows system then I would like to correct the file
> ownership in windows so that the files have the correct owners.
On Windows 7 and Vista, "trustedinstaller" owns (and is supposed to
own) all the files of the OS:
(quoted in http://www.vistax64.com/vista-security/87679-trusted-installer.html#post528738
GCS a+ e++ d- C++ ULS$ L+$ !E- W++ P+++$ w++$ tv+ b++ DI D++ 5++
Life is complex, with real and imaginary parts.
"Ok, it boots. Which means it must be bug-free and perfect. " -- Linus Torvalds
"People disagree with me. I just ignore them." -- Linus Torvalds
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple