Re: Owner/Group showing up as "??????????" on some Windows files despite mkpasswd/mkgroup

On 1/2/2011 9:09 AM, aputerguy wrote:
Csaba Raduly-2 wrote:

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 7:59 AM, aputerguy wrote:
If trustedinstaller is a valid file owner then I would like it to show up
as
the file owner in cygwin so that rsync transfers it over properly.
Presumably this would mean adding it to my /etc/passwd file though I'm
not
sure what would be the best entry to use.

On the other hand if trustedinstaller SHOULD NOT be owning any files and
its
just an error on my windows system then I would like to correct the file
ownership in windows so that the files have the correct owners.

On Windows 7 and Vista, "trustedinstaller" owns (and is supposed to own) all the files of the OS:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.06.acl.aspx
(quoted in
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-security/87679-trusted-installer.html#post528738
)

If so, wouldn't it make sense to add trustedinstaller to the passwd and group file to distinguish those files that have a legitimate ownership from others that truly may be owned by an unknown user?

Sure. But the point is that the SID isn't considered a Windows user so that's why it doesn't show up by default. As a work-around for now, you can add a line like this to your '/etc/passwd' file:

TrustedInstaller:unused:80:544:Trusted Installer,U-NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller,S-1-5-80-956008885-3418522649-1831038044-1853292631-2271478464::

(The above is all on one line)

This will make "TrustedInstaller" show up as the user, just like you will see
in Windows.  The group is still '????????' though.  I'll leave tracking down
the proper SID for the group as an exercise for the reader. ;-)
--
Larry