This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Invoking GUI programs over SSH
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 20:06, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> * David Antliff (Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:31:25 +1300)
>> Actually there is one outstanding issue with this "Hudson slaves over
>> SSH" issue - due to the inability for Cygwin's bash to run scripts
>> with DOS line endings, we've had to use SHELLOPTS=igncr in our
>> Cygwin.bat files, since it cannot be modified once bash is running.
> Convert the shell scripts to LF endings.
Yes, that would work, but it's not quite that simple - git clones
files in CRLF format, with the autocrlf option set. I can't easily
disable that option without other consequences (it breaks some diff
tools, not to mention existing clones), and I've already found the
solution - it's SHELLOPTS=igncr when bash starts. So what I want to
know is how to set sshd to set this option on new bash instances for
And no, you can't convert them to LF, recommit them in git, and expect
them to check out later in LF format. They won't - they'll come out in
CRLF format again, because of the way git works in Cygwin with
I could write a non-bash 'bootstrap' script that goes through the
entire git clone and converts shell scripts to LF endings - but it
seems pretty unnecessary if the problem is already solved with the
'igncr' option. So the question still remains - how to get sshd to
pass this option to spawned bash instances.
>> I did a search and found an old cygwin mailing list thread
>> from 2007 that resulted in "use the new version of Cygwin", which I
>> believe I have covered as I'm using Cygwin 1.7.5.
> Sorry, but this seems to get a bit ridiculous: http://cygwin.com/ ->
> "Current Cygwin DLL version"...
I didn't say I was using the "latest", merely that I'm using a newer
version than the thread from 2007 concerned. Of course 1.7.5 isn't the
latest, but it's the most tested version I have here. I didn't mean to
convey that I was thought I was using the latest and that I'd made the
ridiculous mistake of picking the wrong version.
However if someone can tell me that this problem is fixed in 1.7.7,
then of course I'll look at an upgrade - but there's a lot of
acceptance testing required, I can't simply move everyone to 1.7.7
without weeks of testing and writing yet-more-workaround-scripts for
the inevitable inconsistencies in git (caused by Windows). But I'll
happily try 1.7.7 (or whatever the latest is) on an independent
installation if someone thinks it's the solution to the problem above.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple