Newbie confused about chmod

I am running cgwin (for omnet++, but that's a BTW) on Windows 7 (NTFS).  I
cannot chmode files I untarred into a folder and I cannot chmod a file I
create in cgwin myself.

I understood that you could do this if the file system was NTFS.  The bottom
line is I have an executable that is not executable.  In addition to solving
that though it might be nice to get a better understanding.

What I don't understand is that if I run a make.exe (still me as user I
presume) the make process manages to produce a file with executable
permissions and presumably that's not just due to the directory, since the
files I create aren't executable and cannot be made so.

I started to read the netsec page ref'd from the faq, but it's a big
learning curve and I had hoped there was a short answer, though I don't seem
to be able to find it any where.  Perhaps I am using cgwin for not what was
intended and I should go ahead and do a full linux install?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated for this newbie.