This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: setup.exe considerations (was: Doubtful about unison)
- From: Andrew Schulman <schulman dot andrew at epamail dot epa dot gov>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:04:40 -0500
- Subject: Re: setup.exe considerations (was: Doubtful about unison)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4D6BFD09.email@example.com> <AANLkTimi6R8MFSH63quHW3EqV4z5ucwtgNEPmCWWfjjc@mail.gmail.com> <4D6CD103.firstname.lastname@example.org>
> >> Which is the problem: the unison command was compiled against a newer
> >> cygwin1.dll than yours.
> > To be fair, setup.exe ought to be able to resolve or warn about such
> > version dependencies. Unfortunately the infrastructure for that isn't
> > in place, as it would require version requirements to be expressed in
> > packages' setup.hint files (rather than in their READMEs, as they are
> > at the moment).
It would also require packagers to know what the version requirements are.
I can record what versions of things were installed when I built Unison -
or better yet, get cygport to record that for me - but I don't really know
whether it would break with an earlier or later version of cygwin, etc.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple