Re: Problems with Cygwin-1.7.8 (or snapshot) and TeXLive 2010

On 3/3/2011 4:23 PM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
The last steps of installation regard the generation of format file for
all users (-rw-r--r-- root root), but with recent snapshots the format
file are creted only for root (-rwx-----+) (**) : these permissions
resemble those created when one installs native Windows applications
('c:\Program files' is full of similar files).

This reminds me of the discussion starting at

in which patching a file unexpectedly changed the permissions. The issue turned out to be related to the ACLs on the temporary director used by patch.

In the present situation, the texlive installer calls fmtutil-sys to create the format files. I think fmtutil creates the files in a temporary directory (using TMPDIR, TEMP, or TMP if they exist) and then mv's them. Could this be your problem? What happens if you unset those variables before installing texlive?

This is just a wild guess, and I'm not sure it explains why the problem first shows up in recent snapshots.

Ken