This is the mail archive of the cygwin mailing list for the Cygwin project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Problems with Cygwin-1.7.8 (or snapshot) and TeXLive 2010

On Mar  7 11:11, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar  5 15:36, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> > Ken Brown wrote:
> > >I'm running Win7 in case that makes a difference.
> > 
> > Here on Win XP SP3, 32 bit. I haven't W7 :(
> > 
> > >Corinna, are there changes in the 20100910 snapshot that could explain this?
> > 
> > Anyway it would be a remarkable coincidence that 20100910 snapshot
> > ChangeLog says:
> > 
> > [...]
> > 2010-09-10  Corinna Vinschen  <BEEP>
> Please do NOT quote raw email addresses.
> > [...]
> The patch you're quoting only raises the size of the buffers so that
> even the biggest ACL fits into them.  So far we were restricted to 3K
> ACLs in some circumstances.  However, there's another change in this
> snapshot which might explain what happens:
>   * (get_file_sd): Add bool parameter justcreated.  Use
>   GetSecurityInfo only if justcreated is true, NtQuerySecurityObject
>   otherwise.  Add comment to explain why.  Don't waste time to call
>   NtQuerySecurityObject twice, just allocate big enough area.
>   (get_file_attribute): Call get_file_sd with justcreated set to false.
>   [...]
> I don't see at all how this is possible, though.  Hmm.
> I'm still running the installation myself, but it takes such a long
> time.
> "A kingdom for a simple testcase"(TM)

Ok, I found a simpler testcase.  If you have the texmf-bin package
installed, just try this:

  $ cd /var/lib/texmf/web2c
  $ rm -f aleph.*
  $ aleph -ini -jobname=aleph -progname=aleph *aleph.ini > /dev/null
  $ ls -l aleph.*

and you'll see that the aleph.* files have not 0644, but other, wrong

As I expected the aforementioned patch is the culprit, but in an
entirely unexpected way.  Basically, the patch adds a bool parameter to
the functions get_file_sd.  If it's true, the Win32 function
GetSecurityInfo is called, just like before, if it's false, the native
NT function NtQuerySecurityObject is called instead.

Now, for some reason, on XP, but not on Windows 7, the call to
GetSecurityInfo suddenly fails with an error 487, ERROR_INVALID_ADDRESS.
Apart from the fact that it's not always called anymore, nothing has
changed in the way GetSecurityInfo is called!

I tried various changes, but to no avail.  I have not the faintest clue
why GetSecurityInfo suddenly fails on XP.  The only way I can get
GetSecurityInfo to work on XP is by removing the additional bool
parameter :-(


Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat

Problem reports:
Unsubscribe info:

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]