RE: How to read thumb drive volume label

Charles Russell sent the following at Monday, March 14, 2011 10:03 AM
>Is there some way to read the volume label on a USB flash drive?
>Something like blkid in linux?

Something like this?

function label() {
    $(cygpath --sysdir)/cmd /c dir ${1}:\\ | \
        tr \\r \\n | \
        sed -n -e '1s/^ Volume in drive . is //p'
    }

Or you could play with

$(cygpath --sysdir)/label.exe

Note that both require that one provides the drive letter.

I hope this was not OT.  I apologize for use of tools that come
with Windows, but sometimes I find native tools to be easiest.

- Barry