Re: Using Cygwin Emacs

On 5/15/2011 9:27 PM, Sayth Renshaw wrote:
I first the first time today looked more in depth at the packages
available in Cygwin as I was seaching for gdb to use as my debugger in
emacs. I found emacs in the package list!.

Found this wiki page
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?CygwinizedEmacsHOWTO though its
layout is a little bit confused, it tries to advise on using emacs in
cygwin.

That wiki page is way out of date. I would advise you to ignore it. If
you install Cygwin's emacs package, you'll find more up-to-date
information in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs.README .

Before I venture down this path are there many people using
this package? Is it advantageous to use this package(cygwin)?  Or is
there not much upside to a user using the default 23.2 zip package?

There are plenty of Cygwin users who use (Cygwin's) emacs. I don't
understand your last two questions. What do you mean by the "default
23.2 zip package"? But if you want to know what it's like to use
Cygwin's emacs package instead of whatever you're using now, why not
just try it?

Ken Brown
Cygwin's emacs maintainer

I have installed emacs and followed the instruction to create the
emacs-shortcut.

renshaw@RenshawResidence /usr/bin
$ make-emacs-shortcut
*** Info: Created /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml.
*** Info: Created /usr/bin/emacs.lnk.
*** Info: You should move it to the desired location.
*** Info: Feel free to edit its properties
*** Info: or the contents of /usr/local/bin/emacs.xml.

However emacs will not run from the shortcut, so I tried running emacs
from the bash shell, however it gave a message that this required the
bourne shell. Is there a way to set the Bourne shell as default so i
can launch emacs from it?

Sayth