This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: trying to get the process id for a spawned process to wait for it
- From: Ryan Johnson <ryanjohn at ece dot cmu dot edu>
- To: "C. Woody Butler" <charles dot butlerjr at constellation dot com>
- Cc: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 13:35:51 -0400
- Subject: Re: trying to get the process id for a spawned process to wait for it
- References: <loom.20110517T203754email@example.com>
On 2:59 PM, C. Woody Butler wrote:
What shell are you using? In bash, at least, the above won't work -- you
Hi - I'm trying to launch a set number of threads,
wait for them to finish, launch another set of
threads, wait and repeat until there's no more input.
so - I've got this (this is in the middle
of a loop reading a file):
Jobs=$Jobs + 1
Just to be sure, you've confirmed that the problem arises because the
if-then body runs with an empty $PID? Do the two echo commands fire?
/tibcoresources/appmanage.exe<<lots of params>> &
echo $PID is the process
if [[ $Jobs -gt 2 ]]
But - I don't get anything back from $!
so the wait doesn't wait and I end up
launching a bunch of processes and taking
down the server, etc, etc, etc.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple