Re: Cygwin 1.7.x on Windows 7: Exit statuses of Win32 executables are sometimes wrong

On Apr 29 11:35, John Dong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Cygwin on Windows 7, seems to exhibit a rather peculiar behavior: Sometimes the exit status of a Win32 process is incorrectly captured by Cygwin.

Please:

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

> [...]
> > int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
> > {
> > 	int ret = _ttoi(argv[1]);
> > 	_tprintf(_T("Exiting with %i\n"), ret);
> >
> > 	return ret;
> > }
>
> Then, I wrote a shell script that called this executable ("exiter.exe") with argument 0 in an infinite loop:
>
> > #!/bin/sh
> > set -e
> > while true; do
> >  /cygdrive/c/exiter.exe 0
> > echo $?
> > done
> >

> I expect this script to run forever, as the exit code should always be zero. However, after running this overnight, I see the script terminate:
>
> > Exiting with 0
> > 0
> > Exiting with 0
> >
> > $ echo $?
> > 1

I'm running your testcase on a W7 32 bit machine for about 12 hours now,
and it's still running.  The only difference is that I built exiter.exe
using MingW gcc, rather than VC++, but that doesn't change the fact that
the resulting application is a native one.

Did any of you running into this problem check if this could be a BLODA
problem(*)?

Corinna

(*) http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda

Red Hat