Cygwin FAQ, incorrect sections 4.19, 4.20, 4.22, 4.23 with Cygwin 1.7.1+?

Dear Cygwin users;

We're a long term user of cygwin in various ways, and I was very pleased to see in the Cygwin 1.7.1 release notes, and discussion in cygwin-developers, that the cygwin1.dll supports parallel installations of cygwin.

I know there are some cases where you can get into trouble, such as launching a first cygwin session from a cygwin install location, and having that call a cygwin tool located in a second cygwin location.

URLs:
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-developers/2009-10/msg00113.html
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ov-new1.7.html

We went to use this feature in a recent GPL project, and I wanted to double check, and Cygwin FAQ sections 4.19, 4.20, 4.22, and 4.23 seem to contradict the announcements from the Cygwin 1.7.1 release.

Is there some clarity to this?

My guess is that Cygwin seeks to offer no support for third party apps that use cygwin1.dll, and only will work on items from the network installer setup.exe.

By contrast, everything else I've read says that it is completely by design that cygwin1.dll 1.7.1 and above can and should operate successfully with multiple parallel installs, including of the same or different versions of cygwin1.dll, so long as the parallel cygwin installs never meet. Additionally, software developers can reasonably safely place a copy of cygwin1.dll with their project.

For reference, what we're doing isn't all that exciting. GPL'd rsync installed on several hundred windows machines not under our control - we just want to make sure we don't interfere with anything the users may be doing already.

Thanks,
Devin Nate