This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Failure of name resolution with ssh on windows 7 and VMware
- From: Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe dot de>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 09:20:22 +0200
- Subject: Re: Failure of name resolution with ssh on windows 7 and VMware
- References: <4E46E867.firstname.lastname@example.org>
* John Dzielski (Sat, 13 Aug 2011 17:11:03 -0400)
> I am unable to get name resolution to work with ssh. The command ssh X
> returns the error "ssh: could not resolve hostname X: Non-recoverable
> failure in name resolution." The command nslookup X returns a valid IP
Run a Wireshark trace when ssh fails and see if you actually have an
attempt for name resolution. I'd rather suspect UAC or the firewall.
> I've created a partial workaround in my .bashrc file that creates
> variables containing the IP addresses of the names I need to resolve.
This is a weird idea. Use /etc/hosts for that.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple