Dealing with Symlinks

I am trying to compile openssl. When I run make and make test, I get trivial
compile errors. See,

error: expected identifier or '(' before '!' token
error: stray '\377' in program
error: stray '\376' in program

My friends tells me that this is because cygwin doesn't deal with the
symlinks present in C header files. How do I remedy this?