Re: Performance issue in SFTP , CygWin Server

On Oct  5 06:41, BhavyaMadiri wrote:

> Our application downloads files from various source systems to our server. We
> have Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.5 with Advanced Platform version on
> our server. Windows sources system (SRC1) , has Windows Server 2003 on their
> server that hosts Cygwin. They recently moved from FTP to SFTP. They are
> using Cygwin to support SFTP on Windows. The Cygwin setup version is 2.738.
>
> During sFTP load testing with SRC1, we encountered significant performance
> issue. Transferring 120K files of total size 58GB takes 4.5 hours using FTP
> but it takes 28 hours using SFTP.

I'd always expect some performance hit when using sftp compared to ftp,
in the order of 8 to 12 hours in your scenario, but 28 hours sounds a lot
compared to 4.5 hours.

What network connection do you have from your client to SRC1?  Gigabit
ethernet?

Are the 58 Gigs files located on a local disk, or are they on a remote
fileserver?  If remote, what server and what underlying protocol, SMB or
NFS?

> We have not encountered any performance problems with downloading files
> (same number and size ) from unix/linux systems using SFTP.
>
> We suspect this performance issue to be related to Cygwin.

Unfortunately we don't know your Cygwin you're using on SRC1.  Please
send a cygcheck -svr output as per http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Did you try a recent Cygwin snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/ ?

Corinna

Red Hat