Re: An AWK-ward problem...

On Nov 23 15:21, Flint, Paul wrote:
> Greetings List lurkers,
>
> I have been troubleshooting some new bash script that I wrote and wanted (for some reason :^) to run on an NT box.
>
> So the struggle began...
>
> Anyway I get the oddest error:
>
> <snip>
> /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Git/bin/awk: line 7: $'\r': command not found
> /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Git/bin/awk: line 7: $'\r': command not found
> warning: LF will be replaced by CRLF in sendjcl.log.
> <snap>
>
> So... I check my code and check my code... soon the problem begins to drive me mad...
>
> Then!
>
> I do this from a cygwin ver 2.761 terminal...
>
> $cd /c/cygwin/bin
> $dos2unix awk
>
> Now awk works!

I don't believe in this solution:

- The above error messages are not Cygwin gawk error messages.  They
  look like bash error messages.  Bash doesn't understand CRLF line
  endings in scripts unless you explicitly allow that.

- /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Git/bin/awk is apparently the name of a
  shell script.  /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Git/bin/awk is certainly
  not /bin/awk.

- /bin/awk is a symlink to /bin/gawk.exe, an executable.  If you call
  dos2unix on an executable, the executable will be either unchanged,
  or broken with a high probability.

- Even if it doesn't matter in this scenario, Cygwin's gawk understands
  CRLF line endings in awk scripts.

Corinna

Red Hat