Re: Understanding versions of apps in cygwin suite

marco atzeri <marco.atzeri <at> gmail.com> writes:

| On 12/3/2011 4:26 PM, Andrew Hancock wrote:
|| marco atzeri<marco.atzeri<at>  gmail.com>  writes:
|| ...I posted on another thread asking whether it was wise to update
|| Octave without updating the cygwin DLL.  Updating the cygwin DLL
|| using Setup is actually downgrading, since I currently use a
|| snapshot of the cygwin DLL to get around a problem with creating
|| files/folders on a network drive (unrelated to Octave).
|
| Andrew, cygwin setup is not aware of any snapshot you can install
| manually, as it compares the info from setup.ini (from website) with
| the info stored on its database /etc/setup/installed.db
|
| So if you have
|
| $ cygcheck -c cygwin
| Cygwin Package Information
| Package              Version        Status
| cygwin               1.7.9-1        OK
|
| as 1.7.9-1 is the last released version, running setup again to
| upgrade octave, will not replace your snapshot.

Thanks for explaining, Marco.  As I replied to Christopher, I think I
was confused.

| I am also running a snapshot as 1.7.9
|
| $ uname -rv
| 1.7.10s(0.255/5/3) 20111129 17:41:48
|
| for the reason reported on
| http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2011-10/msg00001.html

It'll be nice when the new cygwin release comes out and octave works
with gnuplot.  I didn't realize that it was fixed in snapshots after
June.  I know what to try if the need arises.

| It seems a different problem of the bug you thought about, ...

Yes, my mistake again.  My error message is that there is no RIFF
chunk, while
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=30309 is for no
*data* chunk.

| ...both the 3.4.2-3 and the latest development build do not
| recognize the file format.

| Please note that
|
| $ file *.wav
| 428shortMono.wav: RIFF (big-endian) data, WAVE audio, mono 44100 Hz
| oddchunk.wav:     RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM,
| 16 bit, mono 1000 Hz
|
| I am not sure that your file is compatible with octave expectation,
| I suggest to rise the question on octave-help as I know nothing about
| sound file format.

Will do.  Thanks for checking for me.