Apparently solved! (Re: Sorry "people" (NOT MY taxonomy!!), but igncr IS flawed)

Hi Dave,

Dave Korn-9 wrote:

> On 17/12/2011 15:50, manu0507 wrote:
>
>> - the script causing trouble comes in the GNU gdb distribution
>> gdb-7.3.1.tar.gz
>
>   Hah!  I know what's happened: you used a windows program such as winzip
> or
> similar to unpack the archive, and it's gone and "helpfully" munged all
> the
> line endings for you.  Use 'tar xvfz gdb-7.3.1.tar.gz' at the Cygwin shell
> command-line and you'll get a correctly unpacked version.  (There
> definitely
> aren't CRLFs in the upstream release of the configure scripts.)  Windows
> GUI-based archivers are well known for causing this problem.

My gosh, that's it! I Indeed extracted with WinZip... I WAS a bit
suspicious, and looked in WinZip for an option like "Output text files in
DOS format" or so that I could UNcheck, but having not found it, I thought
WinZip would not be so intrusive as to modify the files that were
compressed...

Well, I never said Win was perfect, did I?  ;-)

That being said, it's still sort of beyond me why all [CR][LF]s would be
converted ok... except the ones I reported.

Dave Korn-9 wrote:

>   (Also, if you think that Eric's reply was "acrimonious", you're just
> having
> some sort of using-language-in-different-ways communication problem.  I
> saw it
> earlier and it seemed perfectly polite and proper to me, I honestly can't
> see
> what about it would offend you.)
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

Ok, maybe Eric actually likes being called "people"... my fault then.

Many thanks & Merry Christmas,

Emanuel