GNU Guile 1.8.7 - readline is not provided

Using a fresh installation of Cygwin with GNU Guile (during the
install process I've only selected this latter package explicitly)
I've tried to use Guile's readline support[1] unsuccessfully.

As the documentation told me to, I've created a configuration file
(.guile) in my home directory and started Guile, but it raised an
error (guile.out) and I don't understand why.

I've searched the mailing lists and found a previous release
announcement[2] where the package maintainer said that the readline
support is "OK" (although it was a previous release of Guile -- 1.5.x)
and listed the required libraries for it to work. During the install
all of these libraries were installed by setup.exe transitively
(cygcheck.out).

Is this a bug in the release or readline support is omitted from
Guile's Cygwin version on purpose?

If the latter holds it would be nice to know: "why?". Can't Guile be
build with this feature enabled?

Regards,
Robert

[1]:Âhttp://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/docs-1.8/guile-ref/Loading-Readline-Support.html#Loading-Readline-Support