Re: Putty and pre-shared keys with Cygwin's sshd

Greetings, Andrew DeFaria!

> What "feature" does putty have that I need? A GUI dialog box that I need to
> fill out to connect to a system?

No, you don't need a GUI dialog box to connect to your system with PuTTY.
Just invoke it with
putty.exe -ssh username@address

It'll use default session configuration for given connection.
The main advantages of PuTTY is
1. Native code. Works much faster, where Cygwin applications are rather slow
to invoke on my system. Hope it'll change with 1.7.10, though.
2. Single-point connection with familiar interface to many, many consoles.
That's a big advantage, if all you ever want 90% of the time is connecting to
other hosts.
3. Vast configuration options. I've been able to overcome every deficiency of
the remote host I've been connecting to. Including some rather stupid consoles
with insane keymaps.
4. Which is really should be #1: SSH client is just one of many possible uses.
Modem/serial line terminal client is what I'm using often myself. Referring
back to #2 - a single-point entryway to all possible consoles.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...