This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Tcl/tk dll's
- From: "Yaakov (Cygwin/X)" <yselkowitz at users dot sourceforge dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 20:14:39 -0600
- Subject: Re: Tcl/tk dll's
- References: <4F32FC8A.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 23:51 +0100, marco atzeri wrote:
> curiosity, any reason why the tcl/tk dll's are
> not using the cyg prefix ?
In fact, there is. The point of the "cyg" prefix is to avoid possible
mismatches with MinGW DLLs using the "lib" prefix. In this case,
however, forcing a "cyg" prefix with Tcl's unique build system would be
a lot of work for no gain, since Tcl already has its own way of
distinguishing between the two (tclXY.dll vs. libtclX.Y.dll). Note that
python and R (in Ports) do the same thing for the same reason.
For the record, I did patch Tcl to also recognize the "cyg" prefix for
those extensions which are built with other build systems.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple