[NEARLY SOLVED:] Re: make producing basename error that can't be captured by "make &> make.out"

On 3/1/2012 10:07 PM, Dave Korn wrote:
On 02/03/2012 02:52, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
[ weird problem symptoms ]
   You probably have a script or shell alias getting in between you and the
real make.  Please run "type make ; which -a make" in a bash shell and show us
the results.

     cheers,
       DaveK

Dave:

Thanks for the reply (smiled on the "weird problem symptoms" summation).

The result is:
+++
type make; which -a make
make is aliased to `settitle Making $(basename $PWD) && make "$@"'
/usr/bin/make
/usr/bin/make
+++

I groaned when I saw this as it is obvious the $(PWD) is feeding basename and that's the "make" error. Thanks.

However, I am still trying to understand why this potentially incorrect alias is creating text output to the screen which can't be redirected as it isn't stdout or stderr ... or "3/4/5" as someone suggested I test.

Paul