Re: ldd fails when dll has no execute permissions

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 11:04:35AM -0800, cppjavaperl wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 12:57:03 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I'll try to be clearer.  We obviously know how to scan an executable
>>for dependent DLLs since cygcheck does it already (and actually cygwin
>>itself does this) but we are not going to be modifying ldd to deal with
>>the case of non-executable binaries.
>
>I was not aware (until seeing it discussed elsewhere, shortly after my
>last post) that cygcheck had this capability already.
>
>So, correct me if I'm wrong, it really doesn't have anything to do with
>mirroring ldd's behavior on Linux -- It's just that you don't view it
>as a problem worth spending time on.

I tested linux and found that it failed on a binary with no executable
privileges.  I didn't go to the extra effort of trying to make dependent
.so's nonexecutable.  But, I have confirmed that it is unaffected if a
dependent .so is executable.  So I can't claim that this is completely
a linux compatibility feature.

But, yes, you are correct that I don't think it's worthwhile to rewrite
ldd to deal with this issue.