Re: du crashes if .lnk symlink and a folder it points to are named the same, differing only in letter case

On Mar 25 17:29, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Ilya Basin wrote:
>
> >I needed that because one git repository has branches named
> >"Epam/a" and "epam/b", and git was always creating the "missing" epam
> >directory at fetch.
> >
> >$ ls -l
> >total 0
> >drwxr-xr-x+ 1 adminpwd None 0 Mar 25 11:42 Epam
> >drwxr-xr-x+ 1 adminpwd None 0 Mar 25 11:42 epam
> >
> >why no " -> Epam" part? 'ls' behaves funny too, but at least it
> >doesn't crash.
> >

> >$ ls -l epam.lnk
> >lrwxrwxrwx 1 Users None 4 Mar 13 16:43 epam.lnk -> Epam
> >
> >$ du .
> >0       ./Epam
> >Aborted (core dumped)
>
> =====
> You might try setting going into system properties, advanced,
> Environment Variables and creating an entry (or adding to the
> original if there is one there already) for CYGWIN.  Entries to have
> in it:\
> winsymlinks export    #(+opt) [nodosfilewarning]

This problem has nothing to do with dosfilewarning.

> I have  a feeling you are seeing probs related to the cygwin hard link emulation
> which can by turned off by telling it to use winsymlinks (export
> tells it to export the value to children processes --

Sigh.  This problem has nothing to do with hardlinks.  And it has
nothing to do with the winsymlinks option, unless you count in the fact
that the symlink in question is a .lnk style symlink.  And the
winsymlink option has nothing to do with hardlinks at all.  There's a
reason the option is called winsymlink, not winhardlinks.

Corinna

Red Hat