Re: Glyph substitution

Csaba Raduly wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM, wrote:
Glyph substitution doesn't works on cygwin using fontconfig, xft.
Missing glyphs won't get replaced from ones existing in other fonts.
Couldn't figure out why.
Anyone can report, that it should work?

Xwindow-related questions are better addressed to the cygwin-xfree mailing list.

Also, "It doesn't work" is not very helpful in diagnosing the problem:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html#respect

--- Expecting the end user to know much more beyond stating the symptoms is like expecting a medical patient to tell the doctor not only their symptoms but also the underlying cause.

Not that doctors get it right all the time, and they are paid alot more
and they are called professionals, whereas software types don't get anything close to the same respect, but it's still a bit of a stretch to expect a layman to relate much more than symptoms about an illness in their software.

I don't know anything about the original poster's post other than what
they wrote, but I can attest that glyph substitution doesn't work either. However, I didn't know it was something that was supposed to work. Um...

I should follow up about that on the Xlist..